Chakras are portals of energy channels that run throughout the human bodies. The term chakras comes from the Hindu word for “wheel” that reflects the dynamic and spherical nature of these energy portals. Chakras are important parts of the subtle body, having powers on the physical, spiritual, and in the transcendent plane of existence. There are 7 chakras in the human body. Each particular chakra has a specific function, resonance, color, phrase, and place in the body. When all chakras are open and in equilibrium, our aura is at its best, and in turn, so is our health and humor.
There are 7 Chakras placed along a vertical line in the body that goes through the head passing the whole body and coming out at the rectum. The spinal cord is the main axis of this energy line of the subtle body.
The seven chakras and their main properties are listed below:
Muladhara or Root Chakra:
- Placed on the base of the spine around the coccyx region.
- The color is red.
- The mantra vibration is Lam (pronounce lum).
- Earth is its element.
- This chakra can be stimulated by the phrase: I have/I am here.
- Recommended yoga poses, standing postures, and balance.
Svadhishthana or Chakra of the Creation:
- Placed on the sacrum region along the sexual organs.
- The color is orange.
- The mantra is Bam.
- The element is water.
- The phrase is I Wish.
- Recommended yoga poses: hip opener exercises are the best way for empowering the Creation Chakra.
Manipura or Solar Plexus Chakra:
- This chakra reigns self-discovery.
- The color is yellow.
- The element is fire.
- The phrase is I Can to strengthen this energy portal. When you feel overwhelm think of your solar plexus chakra and repeat I can do it, it will give you strength to overcome the obstacles of the mind.
- The mantra is Ram.
- Recommended yoga poses: torsions and abdominal strengthen.
Anahata or Chest Chakra:
- Placed on the center of the chest.
- The color is green.
- The element is air.
- The phrase is I Love.
- The mantra is Yam.
- Recommended yoga poses: Chest opener and arcs are the best postures for Anahata chakra
Vishud or Chakra of the Throat:
- The color is blue.
- The element is ether (the space that surrounds us).
- The mantra is Ham.
- The phrase is I Speak.
- The recommended yoga poses are ones that lengthen the neck promote the alignment of the spine.
Chakra of the Sight or Ajna:
- This energy wheel is located on the forehead, where the third eye is often represented.
- The color is violet.
- The element is light.
- The phrase is I See.
- The mantra is the powerful Om (pronounce aum).
- Recommended yoga pose are the ones that imply forward flexion or such as.
Sahasrara- Everything is Illuminated:
- It is located on the crown of the head and together with the root chakra they form the main channels for energy flow to enter and leave the body.
- The color is bright pink.
- The element is the cosmic consciousness.
- The phrase is I am.
- The mantra is the powerful Om.
- The best way to stimulate this chakra is by meditation, reciting the Om mantra, and by inversion asanas.
The harmony within brings harmony outside.